Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Tousali


BISMILLAH HIR RAHMAN NIR RAHEEM




My first recipe from the newspaper cuttings... Yay!!! 
During my growing up years whenever dad used to take us at our native that is in Karnataka we usually would get such things like tousalli ( and other stuffs which I am unable to remember their names ) for breakfast. Here in Mumbai we are used to have rotis in breakfast. Having tousalli would never appease me and that's the reason I never liked it.. However I was fascinated by one of its ingredient - 'cucumber'. Its the different variety that is used to make this dish. And don't know why I have always liked that variety of cucumber. Later in the years when I started learning to cook I made this dish ( a long long time ago ) - Recipe courtesy from Archana didi who is our neighbour and from Karnataka too. ( I forgot that recipe now ;

Once I saw this recipe in the newspapers and immediately cut it and saved not knowing whether I'll ever make it or not. However my mamma likes tousali and I prepared it this time... Although this recipe calls for cooking on low flame on a tawa but I preferred to steam cook it. And I must say it turned out really well and now I am a fan of it too..


Ingredients:

Coconut grated - 1 cup
Raw rice - 1 cup
Jaggery finely grated - 1/2 cup
Cucumber grated - 3/4 cup
Melted ghee - 4 tbsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Oil for cooking

Method:

- Soak the rice for atleast four hours in luke warm water. 
- Drain and wash thoroughly. 
- Then grind to a smooth paste along with the coconut, jaggery and 1/4 cup water. 
- Add cucumber and salt to this paste and mix well. Keep aside for a few hours. 
- Heat a non stick pan and grease it lightly with ghee. 
- Pour a spoonful of the batter on the hot tawa and spread it like a thick dosa. 
- Cover with a lid and cook only one side over a slow flame until the base turns golden brown in color. 
- Remove the tousali and serve hot with ghee.


Note:  The above recipe is from the newspapers. However instead of raw rice I used rice flour ( I was too lazy to soak the rice and later grind it). I feel that we can also use idli rawa. Keeping rest of the ingredients same, I simply mixed all the ingredients and left it for 4 hours and then steam cooked it... No grinding nothing... The taste of grated coconut and cucumber that comes in each bite is simply amazing. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea of newspaper recipes blog :) I too have saved cuttings like these - but never got around to making it. This is the first I've heard of this dish. Is the cucumber - salad cucumber or the golden cucumber?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by deepa. Yes for this dish golden cucumber is used. Usually I like to pick the round ones but can use otherwise too.

    ReplyDelete